The Monitor’s artifacts are housed at the USS Monitor Center in an extraordinary exhibition and conservation facility that let you experience the fear, the awe, and the excitement that surrounded this extraordinary time in our nation’s history.
At the heart of the USS Monitor Center is the award-winning exhibition—Ironclad Revolution—a melding of artifacts, original documents, paintings, personal accounts, interactives and environments that will pique all five senses. The strategies, people, technology, and science behind the historic circumstances surrounding this story are displayed in a way the public has never before seen.
- Walk down a mock dock and enter the CSS Virginia as she is being built for battle.
- Build your own virtual ironclad
- Step inside the Battle Theater and experience the action during the Battle of Hampton Roads
- Visit the living quarters of the sailors, or walk on the deck of a full-scale reproduction of the vessel that changed naval warfare
- Participate in the raising of the turret by NOAA and Navy crews in the Recovery Theater
- See replicas of the famous turret as it was built, as it was brought up from the ocean floor, and then see the REAL turret